Sunday, October 14, 2012

$$$$ MAKE MONEY MONEY!!!! $$$$

Well you may know, or well you may not, about Jam Jar Poetry Slam and it's place as a place to place your words/stories/monologues/raps etc...

It's been running for over a year and in that time we've seen seen some pretty interesting changes and growth.

It costs money to enter now. A whole $5.
And while I haven't had much of a backlash about it, there is a small amount of discontent. A really minimal amount, but I thought it was worth discussing.
Because, apparently, paying for poetry is just not done.
It's a foreign concept.

Movies, ok. Books, ok. Music, ok. Plays, ok. Art galleries, ok...
But spoken word?
You fucking sellout moneymaking scumbag.
See we value our art, enough to attend, enough to want to join a community of artists, enough to write, but not enough to pay.

And there is definitely a broken culture of how we value our spoken word in Brisbane.

I was performing at a gig in Sydney called Outspoken, and a friend from Canberra came up to hang out while I was close(ish).
It was $10 to enter.
She was told she could get in for free because she was with me.
You know what she said?
"Ten dollars...? Maaaaan, I'll pay ten dollars to see poetry! Here".
And she gave them a ten dollar note and walked on in without blinking an eye.

Now I'm wondering if there are people in Brisbane who would do the same thing?
And don't get me wrong, I don't think it's out of spite or nastiness.
I just wonder if we've become so accustomed to free spoken word events that the concept of paying, of someone making a living off their spoken word art, is... weird.

You know why the events were free?
Because no-one would come.

But now there's a bubbling community of die-hard poetic lovers.
Why not say: If I put on a good show, you pay me - so I can eat, or drink, or get a tattoo, or smoke crack, or... gosh... maybe buy a new writing book? a pen? or pay for flights so I can bring Brisbane spoken word to other cities? Or just exist as an artist?

When I was starting out doing spoken word, I was paid according to my skill level. Or the funding for the venue. I now charge more. I charge more for workshops and more for a set. Because my skill set has been shaped and challenged and rewarded and learnt over nearly 7 years of spoken word. Add another 4/5 onto that  for writing rhymes, hip-hop, beat making and DJing and there's a shit load of experience there. And I'm not trying to blow my on horn, I've just come to a point where I know what I can do.
Yet I do a fuck load of free events for community-run organisations, festivals and arts groups.
And every payment sits within the standard awards for artists.

I value what I do.
And I have the right to make money off what I do.

Of course, the people who don't like it are in a teeny tiny minority.

Thanks to the majority of people who pay without fuss. And would probably pay more.

I can pay my rent now.

I can give the features some good cash for their work, their risk taking, their writing and their performance.

Poets are getting paid!!! Thanks to you!!!

And when it comes to funding, grant writing, and all that bureaucratic stuff, the government and funding bodies can see an economy based around this arts community and tick their boxes accordingly.
So we can build and create something to be proud of.

1 comment:

  1. I want to comment on this, but am not sure I can gather the words together to say what I want properly. Please forgive the potential to babble ...

    Firstly, while not surprised, I am amazed that $5 is an amount that it bothers some people to pay for what is an awesome monthly event. Three hours of word-y goodness, ranting, beauty, madness and all else that is a Jam Jar Slam is well worth paying $5 for! My goodness, you can barely get a decent coffee for that. Why should artists not get paid for their time, effort and contribution?

    I, myself, do not write. It is not my community as such. For me going to spoken word is to go and appreciate the artwork produced by another person, to appreciate their skill, their performance, their ideas. For me, spoken word is entertainment.

    I think it comes back to a question and reflection of what you value. I value there being a space where I can go and enjoy the words of others. I value that space being provided in the same way that I value my ability to go out to eat, or to see theatre, or a movie, or to be entertained in any number of other ways. And while, like anyone, I love a free event (!), I am not going to balk at paying a fee for entertainment I enjoy.

    I have so much respect for artists that manage to make a living out of their art, because it truly seems to be such a challenge. The dedication that I have seen friends display to reach the smallest goals in the world of artistic endeavour is amazing. To maintain such a passion under difficult, and often depressing or demoralising, circumstances is inspiring. You are one of those inspiring people Mr Dubs! Having seen you on and off over the years, each time we reconnect seeing how you have continued to work your way forwards in your art is inspiring.

    Keep pushing - Poets should be paid, as should singers, painters, actors, writers, and all others who work hard to be professional in their art.

    And I will continue to happily hand over my $5 for a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete